6275. Marcus Miller - Teen Town

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41EGS7CPB3L.jpg
From: The Sun Don't Lie; Year: 1993; Genre: Jazz Fusion/Funk
This has to be the best and most interesting cover of the Jaco Pastorius penned modern jazz fusion standard that I have ever heard. The idea to use steelpan drums in particular to play the main melody line was a work of genius. Most of the time people correlate the playing of that instrument with Calypso or Caribbean music, but he and his band got them to work flawlessly with modern jazz and funk. This one, however, really incorporate a lot of related genres to fusion throughout, especially the lead electric guitar, which interprets Wayne Shorter's saxophone solo from the original Weather Report recording.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 5 years ago today: The (Detroit) Spinners - Four Hands In The Fire

My song pick 6 years ago today: Pearl Jam - Can't Deny Me

My song pick 7 years ago today: Helloween - Hocus Pocus

My song pick 8 years ago today: Foreigner - Juke Box Hero

My song pick 9 years ago today: AC/DC - Touch Too Much

My song pick 10 years ago today: Bachman-Turner Overdrive (BTO) - Find Out About Love

My song pick 11 years ago today: Hawkwind - Orgone Accumulator

My song pick 12 years ago today: Robert Schumann - Op. 17 - Fantasie in C

My song pick 13 years ago today: Muse - Supermassive Black Hole

My song pick 14 years ago today: Eddie Lang - Eddie's Twister

My song pick 15 years ago today: The Goo Goo Dolls - Black Balloon

My song pick 16 years ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

6189. Dr. John - Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive

6218. Dave Edmunds and the Stray Cats - The Race Is On

6188. Jerry Reed - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright

6139. Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship - Starship