5353. Jethro Tull - Elegy

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61qNgQJH9sL._UX716_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg
From: Stormwatch; Year: 1979; Genre: Progressive Rock
Was listening to this amazing record once again, enjoying every note; still in my opinion one of the most underrated albums, and not just from 'Tull's work.
Anyway, Elegy is the song that closed out the original album; if there ever was a perfect song to end an album with it would be this one. It's an emotion-filled instrumental not written by Ian Anderson, but instead by Dee (David) Palmer, which was written within an hour in response to Palmer's father's passing. Beyond that poignant genesis of the piece, it was also the last time you would be able to hear a studio recording from this storied, classic lineup with the band essentially all but breaking up shortly after as well as bassist John Glascock dying shortly thereafter.
My favourite aspect of this track is actually Martin Barre's wailing guitar when he takes the lead; it adds that final "push" over the limit emotionally to bring it to a crescendo.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Three Dog Night - Family of Man

My song pick 4 years ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Steal Away (The Night)

My song pick 5 years ago today: Twelfth Night - C.R.A.B.

My song pick 6 years ago today: George Clinton - Man's Best Friend/Loopzilla

My song pick 7 years ago today: Marillion - Slàinte Mhath

My song pick 8 years ago today: Johann Sebastian Bach - BWV 24 - Ein Ungerärbt Gemüte

My song pick 9 years ago today: Hawkwind - Kiss of the Velvet Whip (The Mistress of Pain)

My song pick 10 year ago today: The Doobie Brothers - It Keeps You Runnin'

My song pick 11 years ago today: Steeleye Span - The Mooncoin Jig

My song pick 12 years ago today: Queen - I'm Going Slightly Mad

My song pick 13 years ago today: Jerry Reed - Lightning Rod

My song pick 14 years ago today: Ozzy Osbourne - Changes
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6115. Fates Warning - Outside Looking In