3361/62. Dream Theater - Descent of the NOMACs/Dystopian Overture

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71F8zYYbjmL._SX522_.jpg
From: The Astonishing; Year: 2016; Genre: Progressive Metal
I know it's nine months late since it was released, but I've finally got around to listening to Dream Theater's new album; I have to say, I like wot I hear. The album is 2 CDs and 24 songs in length, but The Astonishing part, (pun intended), is that the majority of the songs are under 5 minutes in length and only a single on is over 7 minutes.
As you probably could guess, The Astonishing is a rock opera set in a future bereft of music in a totalitarian state and the struggle to bring freedom and music back, of course. In that way thematically it's of course very similar to concept albums like Styx's Kilroy Was Here, the unreleased The Who concept Lifehouse, and Rush's 2112, which is of course one of Dream Theater's main influences. Whilst having a similar theme that's been used a lot, they keep it very original both in the narrative of the general epic and of course there's no other band that could sound like this except Dream Theater. Yes, I'll have to say this is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.
Anyway, this is the intro/overture to the entire piece; it seemed like a great first pick from it.

Hear Descent of the NOMACs on YouTube.
Hear Dystopian Overture on YouTube.



My song pick one year ago today: Vince Guaraldi Trio - Cast Your Fate to the Wind

My song pick two years ago today: Judas Priest - Living After Midnight

My song pick three years ago today: Heart - Barracuda

My song pick four years ago today: The Alan Parson's Project - Breakdown

My song pick five years ago today: Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive

My song pick six years ago today: Earth, Wind & Fire - Lets Groove

My song pick seven years ago today: Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd - Samba Triste

My song pick eight years ago today: The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

My song pick nine years ago today - April Wine - Roller


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

5932. The Jimmy Castor Bunch - Say Leroy (The Creature From The Black Lagoon Is Your Father)

5935. LaBelle - Lady Marmalade