3387. Ultravox - Dancing with Tears in My Eyes

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71XYZjkp78L._SX522_.jpg
From: Lament; Year: 1984; Genre: Synthpop/New Wave
Got another '80s tune on my mind, as it seems, so whatever.
Anyway, while always a song I've liked quite a bit, I thought of it as a brooding "lost love" song with some excellent music that has some broad appeal. It wasn't that long ago I started listening to the lyrics very close and to my surprise discovered how heavy it actually was. One of those songs that tapped into the Cold War feeling of impending doom and living out the last few minutes of your life. Although it doesn't in the song give an actual name as to what the "storm" that's approaching is, but in the video it was depicted as a nuclear meltdown. Though I cannot help but think, as a child who grew up in the 1980s being told by public service announcements about nuclear war to duck under something if you heard the air raid siren, that it was a song about "the button" being pushed and the world as we know it coming to an end.
I can give Midge Ure and Ultravox this: they sure packaged a dark song in an excellent, upbeat package.

Hear Dancing with Tears in My Eyes on YouTube.



My song pick one year ago today: Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Against the Wind

My song pick two years ago today: AC/DC - T.N.T.

My song pick three years ago today: "Weird Al" Yankovic - Your Horoscope for Today

My song pick four years ago today: Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!

My song pick five years ago today: Sethian - Purity in Sorrow

My song pick six years ago today: Sethian - Nothing Is True

My song pick seven years ago today: Steely Dan - Charlie Freak

My song pick eight years ago today: Van Halen - Summer Nights

My song pick nine years ago today: Apocalyptica (featuring Nina Hagen) - Seemann


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn