5521. The Four Tops - Reflections

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51OYzKpoARL._UX716_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg
From: Still Waters Run Deep; Year: 1970; Genre: Soul/R&B/Motown
Yesterday marked yet another passing of a larger-than-life member of the music community, this time it was songwriter/arranger/producer extraordinaire Lamont Dozier of the Holland - Dozier - Holland songwriting and production team which penned some of the most important and famous songs to come out of Motown. The real sad part about it is that with so many legendary people involved with music are heading into their 80s and older I expect this to be a trend of sorts, but at least we get to keep their great work.
Anyway, I felt like picking something from the Four Tops today anyway, so I went with this song that was written by Holland - Dozier - Holland and originally recorded by Diana Ross & the Supremes a few years prior, which is of course is the de-facto version of it. I absolutely love Levi Stubbs' vocals on this one; he, as always does an amazing job with his ultra powerful voice. Not to take away from Abdul Fakir, Lawrence Payton, and Renaldo Benson and their amazing performances too as well as The Funk Brothers re-recording of the track; they all were amazing to be able to keep up with Diana Ross and company.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My song pick 3 years ago today: Matthews' Southern Comfort - Tell Me Why

My song pick 4 years ago today: Sam & Dave - Hold On, I'm Coming

My song pick 5 years ago today: Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

My song pick 6 years ago today: Meat Loaf - Life is a Lemon (and I Want My Money Back)

My song pick 7 years ago today: Martin Barre - I Raise My Glass To You

My song pick 8 years ago today: ABBA - Knowing Me, Knowing You

My song pick 9 years ago today: The Kooks - She Moves In Her Own Way

My song pick 10 years ago today: Hector Berlioz - Op. 14 - Symphonie Fantastique: Épisode de la vie d'un Artiste... en cinq parties

My song pick 11 years ago today: Jethro Tull - Dun Ringill

My song pick 12 years ago today: Ian Anderson - Fly By Night

My song pick 13 years ago today: The Supremes - I Hear a Symphony

My song pick 14 years ago today: Rammstein - Mutter
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

738 ( The Allman Brothers Band - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed )

1258 Jethro Tull - By Kind Permission Of

5953. David Essex - Stardust

6149. Wilson Pickett - Smokin' in the United Nations

6063. James Brown - Lowdown Popcorn